Sunday, June 22, 2008

Throwing a Party in the former Soviet Union (VIDEO BELOW)

One day before my first foray into Eurasian party hosting, my Georgian confidante David Chaganova offered some strong concerns about the event's prospects.
"Our culture, it's not like in America," he said. Sitting on my sherbet orange living room couch his countenance suggested an irritated fatigue. "Girls, their parents.  They will be worried about their daughters being out so late.  They stay until 11 at the latest.  And it's not just the time. Parents, if they let their daughters go, will want to come into your apartment and see things. I don't think people will stay for very long."
Shaken by Chaganova's account, I reconsidered all my plans.  But it was too late to stop the party.  When I was inviting people they seemed mostly optimistic.  Was I missing something?   
Regardless of the constraining social norms, I felt that if I could just get my guests to start playing flip cup—loud music and lots of beer would makes things ok. 
Logistically, things fell into place well.  While I couldn't find a bar owner anywhere who could get me a keg, Kezbegi, a local brewery, served beer on the riverside with a big hose.  Customers were invited to bring containers and fill 'er up.  With a carful of 4-liter plastic jugs, I earned the respect and curiosity of many Georgian onlookers as the brewmaster shoved his mighty hose in the numerous receptacles.  
As for constraining social norms—no noticeable impediments.  
Much to my chagrin, I didn't capture any footage of the flip cup playing. Below are some sloppily-taken video clips from the party...
  

Per Capita Drunkenness: High
Frequency of Strange/Peculiar expressions of enjoyment : High 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey John, it's good to hear that you are getting some street cred with your beer from a hose shinanagans, keeping girls out too late with your parties, and making parents nervous. Any way, glas to see you are having fun, and good luck with the ladies of the former Soviet Union. Take care.
-Justin

Anonymous said...

That looks like a very fun party!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole said...

It's a shame that no one got "cirque'd" ;)